For those of you considering a career in the Public Relations field, here are 5 Must-Haves skills that we believe are necessary for you to obtain success :
1. Good Verbal and Communication Skills- This skill is number one for a reason. In order to be successful in a career in Public Relations , you must be a good communicator. It is imperative that you know how to speak well, but also that you are a good listener, as you will be representing the brand and/or company that you work for and you always want to present them in the best light possible. Also, you must be sensitive to other languages and cultures. It is essential to understand that in the field of PR you will be communicating with a great deal of people from various different cultures and backgrounds and it is your job to communicate efficiently across various different mediums (in person, telephone , email , writing, etc.)
2. Time Management and Organizational Skills - In the field of PR there are times where the workload is going to be heavy and intense. During those peak times, you may have various clients, projects and tasks to tend to , all of which would be considered “important”. With that being said, it is important that you are able to adhere to specific deadlines and organize your priorities from highest level of importance to the lowest.
3. Computer Skills and Social Media- Computer skills are a must for a future career in PR. You will find yourself spending a great deal of time sending emails, press releases, proposals, and a variety of other things. It is important that you take the time to brush up on your skills of various computer programs, such as Microsoft Word , Excel , Adobe Acrobat, Dropbox and Photoshop. Being knowledgeable about various social networks is equally as important . In this day and age, social networks are essential in connecting and building relationships with potential clients and also connecting with your target audience. Social networks , such as Twitter, Instagram , Pinterest , Tumblr have all taken PR to higher heights and a larger scale , so it is imperative to know how to effectively use and navigate them.
4. Ability to Pay Attention to Details – As mentioned before, there are times when your job can get really hectic, but in those hectic moments it is still IMMENSELY important that you pay attention to small details. Not paying attention to the minor details can turn out to affect your company and/or client in a major way. Even if you and your company are very good at your jobs and what you do, one missed detail can make everything look sloppy and inadequate. So when sending those emails and press releases, pay attention to your punctuation and grammar. Everything you do is being broadcasted to a bigger audience and even potential customers, so make sure that you take the time to ensure that you have not overlooked anything, have checked for punctuation, spelling and grammar errors, and that you are presenting your best, quality work .
5. Creativity -Having a sense of creativity is definitely a plus for a career in PR. As a PR professional, there will be numerous times in which your creativity will be useful to your company and/or your clients. PR calls for creativity when it comes to both , promoting current businesses and clients and attracting potential businesses and clients.
If you have acquired all of these skills then definitely a big kudos to you! If you feel that you may be lacking in some areas, take the time to focus and work on them, we can assure you that it will be beneficial to you in the long run.