Memorial Day Weekend is here! That means cookouts, pools open, and all those wonderful shopping sales! How about switching things up this year by ditching the all white ensemble and incorporating some African fashion into your wardrobe.
Lacking inspiration? Here are 3 different ways of incorporating African fashion into your wardrobe for the weekend:
Ever dreamed of becoming a model for your favorite brand, but quickly cancelled it out thinking you weren’t “model material”? Well guess what those dreams can now become reality.
Turns out, retailers are turning to their social media consumers these days to help market their brands. That’s right YOU could end up on your favorite brand’s website just by posting a picture, via social media, wearing their brand and hash tagging it.
Retailers have caught on to the fact that as consumers, we would rather listen to the advice of our friends and random strangers and see the clothing on real life customers , rather than some beautiful supermodel who looks good in anything that she puts on!
Because of this, retailers are turning to software applications , like Olapic, to browse social media sites, such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and choose photos of consumers wearing their brands and post them to their websites. Some of Olapic’s clients include NastyGal clothing website, Saucony New Balance, and Dannijo.
Don’t fret, Olapic ensures that they follow the private agreements of these social media sites . However, if you would rather not have your picture posted on the website , you can always request to have it removed.
Whether its Dannijo, New Balance or Coach, if you want to possibly be featured on their site then POST, POST, POST !
Summer is steadfastly approaching, meaning that the time has come for college students all across the globe to begin searching and competing for those top internships within their major. If you are a public relations major or the parent /relative of someone who is , we have made your job a little easier!
Here are 4 websites that feature PR internships:
All of us at Adiree wish you good luck !
In case you want to relive the multi-day luxury event that features some of Africa’s hottest fashions, take a look at fashion designer, Farai Simoyi’s AFWNY 2012 runway show. The cool colors, the beautifully constructed garments and the gorgeous models all came together for an luxuriously amazing show.
Farai Simoyi’s AFWNY 2012 Runway Show:
What was your favorite piece from Farai Simoyi’s AFWNY 2012 Runway Show?
For more information regarding AFWNY: www.afwny.com
For those of you considering a career in the Public Relations field, here are 5 Must-Haves skills that we believe are necessary for you to obtain success :
1. Good Verbal and Communication Skills- This skill is number one for a reason. In order to be successful in a career in Public Relations , you must be a good communicator. It is imperative that you know how to speak well, but also that you are a good listener, as you will be representing the brand and/or company that you work for and you always want to present them in the best light possible. Also, you must be sensitive to other languages and cultures. It is essential to understand that in the field of PR you will be communicating with a great deal of people from various different cultures and backgrounds and it is your job to communicate efficiently across various different mediums (in person, telephone , email , writing, etc.)
2. Time Management and Organizational Skills - In the field of PR there are times where the workload is going to be heavy and intense. During those peak times, you may have various clients, projects and tasks to tend to , all of which would be considered “important”. With that being said, it is important that you are able to adhere to specific deadlines and organize your priorities from highest level of importance to the lowest.
3. Computer Skills and Social Media- Computer skills are a must for a future career in PR. You will find yourself spending a great deal of time sending emails, press releases, proposals, and a variety of other things. It is important that you take the time to brush up on your skills of various computer programs, such as Microsoft Word , Excel , Adobe Acrobat, Dropbox and Photoshop. Being knowledgeable about various social networks is equally as important . In this day and age, social networks are essential in connecting and building relationships with potential clients and also connecting with your target audience. Social networks , such as Twitter, Instagram , Pinterest , Tumblr have all taken PR to higher heights and a larger scale , so it is imperative to know how to effectively use and navigate them.
4. Ability to Pay Attention to Details – As mentioned before, there are times when your job can get really hectic, but in those hectic moments it is still IMMENSELY important that you pay attention to small details. Not paying attention to the minor details can turn out to affect your company and/or client in a major way. Even if you and your company are very good at your jobs and what you do, one missed detail can make everything look sloppy and inadequate. So when sending those emails and press releases, pay attention to your punctuation and grammar. Everything you do is being broadcasted to a bigger audience and even potential customers, so make sure that you take the time to ensure that you have not overlooked anything, have checked for punctuation, spelling and grammar errors, and that you are presenting your best, quality work .
5. Creativity -Having a sense of creativity is definitely a plus for a career in PR. As a PR professional, there will be numerous times in which your creativity will be useful to your company and/or your clients. PR calls for creativity when it comes to both , promoting current businesses and clients and attracting potential businesses and clients.
If you have acquired all of these skills then definitely a big kudos to you! If you feel that you may be lacking in some areas, take the time to focus and work on them, we can assure you that it will be beneficial to you in the long run.
Websites like Moda Operandi, Stylyt and Rent the Runway have used unique innovations to get a larger customer base. For those fashionistas in search of the runway’s most unique and unattainable looks, Moda Operandi offers the chance to order a piece as soon as you see it on the runway. Stylyt breaks down the barriers between the designer and the consumer by allowing customers to play the role of fashion designer with high-end designer fabrics. Rent the Runway makes those gorgeous runway dresses available to the girl who feels like she has nothing to wear, by offering a rental service. Designer looks arrive on your doorstep for a fraction of the price (although you do have to return the items after four days). If your brand isn’t an obvious fit for e-commerce or traditional social media techniques, think outside the box. What would appeal to your customer base? How can you reach your audience by offering a unique service, or delivering your services in a unique way?
1. Volunteer for a non-profit– Volunteering for a non profit is a great way to get work experience, and most non profit organizations are understaffed due to budgetary restraints, so you will get a lot more hands on, in-depth experience
2. Keep your portfolio up to date– It is important to keep samples of your work and statements from those you have worked with in a portfolio to take into interviews. Be sure to get a letter of reference from any organization you volunteer for, and include any articles of work that you can speak to, in your portfolio.
3. Stay connected–Many employers now use social media sites like LinkedIn to look for potential hires. Be sure to have an updated account and make good use of sites like Twitter and Facebook. It is important to show that you know how to use sites like these effectively. Add local journalists and business owners to your lists, and be sure to follow as many influential people as you can.
4. Network, network, network–Working in Public Relations is all about who you know. As a recent grad, you aren’t likely to have many connections, but even in this position, stay in touch with your teachers and classmates, and go to networking events. Make your face known in your community and let people know what kind of work you are interested in.
5. Find your niche– The best thing you can do for yourself is stand out. Find something that makes you different from the masses and a commodity to an employer. This applies to after you’ve found a job, too. Once you become familiar with the company you are working for, look for something they might be lacking, and assert yourself into that position.
Fashion is a big world and it can be hard to control. While, there are certainly glamorous aspects to any fashion job it’s not the kind of glamour people perceive when they see movies or watch reality TV. It’s tough, hard work with long hours, lots of details and responsibilities. Typical job functions of a fashion publicist range from organizing a fashion client’s runway show, arranging the launch of a new store or product, coordinating trunk shows and designer sample sales (assuring that industry professionals and consumers are made aware of these events well in advance), to overseeing promotion and production events. In addition, a fashion publicist must consistently maintain media relations (contacting fashion editors about featuring clients in magazines), while obtaining other sources of media coverage, which may include a special feature in a television or radio show, or perhaps in other forms of print media. #PRfiles
Love “The Voice”… so DO we! But we’re not only addicted to “The Voice” because of the mix of great singers and charismatic judges we find there’s a PR angle to every story, to every brand, to every situation including “The Voice”. On viewing the show, we’ve come up with tips for those in Communications AND Management! #prtips #lessons #thevoice
-Listen. Sometimes you need to remove your sense of vision and all the biases that come with it.
-Diversify. When putting together a team, mix it up. Look for people with potential.
-Encourage. Just like the judges on The Voice who are so darn nice to every contestant.
-Laugh. Take time to find the humor in your day. Something has to be funny.
-Be Real. The most important principle for EVERY person.
In this day and age, everyone involved in the media industry want to be able to Stand Out. With the rapid expansion of social media, its becoming more and more difficult for PR gals and guys to be unique. But don’t you fret our little PR novices.. Adiree is here to help! #prfiles #prfiles #nextlevel #pr is power
Here’s how to take PR to the Next Level:
1. Respect your audience
2. Don’t repeat the same content over and over
3. Engage in charitable efforts
4. Nurture the newbies on your sites
Your shopping cart is empty
Visit the shop